Become a teacher (for a non-citizen)
U.S. Department of Education

Become a teacher (for a non-citizen)

I am not a U.S. citizen but would like to become a teacher.  What steps do I need to follow to become certified and licensed?

In the U.S., each state determines the requirements for licensing and certifying teachers in that state. Individual schools and school districts, not the U.S. Department of Education, are responsible for the recruitment of teachers.

For more information about requirements in any state that may interest you, contact the state department of education.   

You may need to seek credential evaluation services to become certified as a teacher in the U.S. Degree, diploma, and credit recognition are not performed or regulated by the federal government. Recognition is not usually done by state or local governments either. In many cases this work is delegated to private credential evaluation services and the resulting evaluations are recognized as valid.  For more information on this topic, please see the U.S. Network for Education Information website.



Topic Information
  • Topic #: 28022-615
  • Date Created: 12/31/2012
  • Last Modified Since: 01/18/2017
  • Viewed: 14591

Notice of Language Assistance: English  |  español  |  中文: 繁體版  |  Việt-ngữ  |  한국어  |  Tagalog  |  Русский