Disability Discharge
U.S. Department of Education

Disability Discharge

How do I get my loan cancelled due to disability?

Student loans may be discharged if you have a TOTAL and PERMANENT disability.  The U. S. Department of Education considers you to have a total and permanent disability if you are unable to work and earn money because of an injury or illness that is expected to continue indefinitely or result in death.  Further information on eligibility requirements can be found on the following webpage: http://www.disabilitydischarge.com/home/

 Borrowers who wish to pursue this option must first submit a loan discharge application to the lender or agency holding the loan.Find the forms online. For further guidance and information, contact the Disability Discharge Loan Servicing Center at 1-888-303-7818.


Topic Information
  • Topic #: 28022-571
  • Date Created: 12/31/2012
  • Last Modified Since: 09/14/2016
  • Viewed: 1937

Notice of Language Assistance: English  |  español  |  中文: 繁體版  |  Việt-ngữ  |  한국어  |  Tagalog  |  Русский