Discrimination complaint
U.S. Department of Education

Discrimination complaint

I have been discriminated against at school.  How do I file a complaint?

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) enforces several federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance from the Department of Education.  These laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age.  These laws extend to state education agencies, elementary and secondary school systems, colleges and universities, vocational schools, proprietary schools, state vocational rehabilitation agencies, libraries, and museums that receive Department of Education funds.

In addition, the Boy Scouts of America Equal Access Act prohibits public schools, school districts and state education agencies that provide an opportunity for outside youth or community groups to meet on school premises before or after school hours from denying equal access to the Boy Scouts of America or to other youth groups listed in Title 36 of the U.S. Code.  Complaints of discrimination on the basis of any of the referenced categories may be filed with OCR using the online complaint form, or by contacting the OCR enforcement office that serves your state.

If you believe you have been discriminated against due to your religious preference, please contact the U.S. Department of Justice Educational Opportunities Section.

Topic Information
  • Topic #: 28022-566
  • Date Created: 12/31/2012
  • Last Modified Since: 01/13/2017
  • Viewed: 3343

Notice of Language Assistance: English  |  español  |  中文: 繁體版  |  Việt-ngữ  |  한국어  |  Tagalog  |  Русский