Teacher loan forgiveness
U.S. Department of Education

Teacher loan forgiveness

What kinds of programs do you have to help teachers pay back their loans?

If you are a teacher serving in a low-income or subject-matter shortage area, it might be possible for you to cancel or defer a portion of your federal student loans.  Eligibility requirements are determined by the type of loan(s) the teacher has out:

Cancellation for Perkins Loans: If you have a loan from the Federal Perkins Loan Program, you may be eligible for loan cancellation for full-time teaching at a low-income school or in certain subject areas.

Cancellation for Stafford Loans: If you received a Stafford loan on or after October 1, 1998, and have taught full-time for five years in a low-income school, you may be eligible to have a portion of the loan cancelled.  This applies to FFEL Stafford Loans, Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, and, in some cases, Consolidation Loans.

Eligible teachers apply for Perkins loan forgiveness from the office that administers the Perkins loan program at the college or university that holds his or her loan, and for Stafford loan forgiveness through the lender or servicer of his or her loan. More information is available at Student Aid on the Web.

You may also be eligible for the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program


Topic Information
  • Topic #: 28022-562
  • Date Created: 12/31/2012
  • Last Modified Since: 09/22/2016
  • Viewed: 1638

Notice of Language Assistance: English  |  español  |  中文: 繁體版  |  Việt-ngữ  |  한국어  |  Tagalog  |  Русский