Trouble paying back student loan
U.S. Department of Education

Trouble paying back student loan

I am having trouble paying back my student loans.  What are my options?

If you are having trouble making payments on your student loans, immediately contact the organization that services your loan. You might qualify for a deferment, forbearance, or another form of payment relief. It is important to take action before you are charged late fees.  For Federal Perkins Loans, contact your loan servicer or the school that made you the loan. For Federal Family Education Loans, contact the lender or agency that holds your loan. For more information on different options, please see Student Aid on the Web.  If you are unsure of what type of loan(s) you have outstanding, you can check your loan history with the National Student Loan Data System, or by calling our Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-433-3243.

Additionally, you may be eligible for a repayment option. General information about repayment options can be found on the following webpage.

Topic Information
  • Topic #: 28022-558
  • Date Created: 12/31/2012
  • Last Modified Since: 09/14/2016
  • Viewed: 2568

Notice of Language Assistance: English  |  español  |  中文: 繁體版  |  Việt-ngữ  |  한국어  |  Tagalog  |  Русский