Loan forgiveness for non-teachers
U.S. Department of Education

Loan forgiveness for non-teachers

Are there any circumstances other than being a teacher in which I can have my loan canceled or forgiven? 

It is possible to have your student loan debt discharged (or canceled) or reduced, but only under certain specific circumstances, including death or permanent and total disability, school closure, working as a teacher in a low-income school or in a subject-shortage area, working in the public service sector, or in the case of Perkins Loans, working in certain other professions (law enforcement, nursing, etc).

 If you have a Federal Family Education Loan, contact the lender or agency that holds your loan.  If you have a Federal Perkins Loan, contact the school that made you the loan.  If you are unsure of what type of loan(s) you have outstanding, you can check your loan history and find additional information on repaying your loans.

Loan Forgiveness for Public Service Employees is offered through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007.

Medical Professionals may also be eligible for loan forgiveness through the National Health Service Corps.

The Nurse Corps Loan Repayment Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, offers registered nurses substantial assistance to repay educational loans in exchange for service in critical shortage facilities. 

Topic Information
  • Topic #: 28022-555
  • Date Created: 12/31/2012
  • Last Modified Since: 09/14/2016
  • Viewed: 2601

Notice of Language Assistance: English  |  español  |  中文: 繁體版  |  Việt-ngữ  |  한국어  |  Tagalog  |  Русский