Complaint against a school
U.S. Department of Education

Complaint against a school

How do I file a complaint against a school or college?

You should address complaints to local or state officials. First address your public school complaint to the local school district and then to the state department of education

Colleges and universities operate independently, although they have some state supervision. If you have complaints against a post-secondary institution contact the state department of higher education for help with resolving the complaint.

For issues about financial aid, fraud, waste or abuse of federal funds, special education or civil rights contact the U.S. Department of Education. Listed below is contact information for these issues:

  • Office of the Inspector General investigates fraud, waste or abuse of federal educational funds, including federal student aid funds.
  • Federal Student Aid's Ombudsman will help resolve issues regarding student loan complaints, by working with you and the lender.
  • Office for Civil Rights enforces several Federal civil rights laws that prohibit discrimination in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance from the Department of Education. You may contact their office directly at 1(800)421-3481 or locate one of their 12 enforcement offices.
Topic Information
  • Topic #: 28022-1013
  • Date Created: 02/21/2014
  • Last Modified Since: 09/16/2016
  • Viewed: 102106

Notice of Language Assistance: English  |  español  |  中文: 繁體版  |  Việt-ngữ  |  한국어  |  Tagalog  |  Русский