What is the U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon Schools (ED-GRS) recognition program?
The award recognizes achievement in three areas, known as the Three Pillars:
• environmental impact and energy efficiency
• healthy school environments and practices
• environmental and sustainability education
ED-GRS aims to:
• foster student and staff health, wellness, productivity, and achievement
• increase STEM and civic engagement skills, content knowledge, and engagement
• ensure students' college and career preparedness
• improve school facilities and save schools money
ED-GRS is the first comprehensive federal policy for schools related to environment, health and education. It lays out a thoughtful vision for schools, sets a high bar for success, and highlights individual green schools and the states that encourage them.
Schools apply to state education agencies, not to ED for the award. Please consult your state authority if you are interested in applying for its nomination. State participation is voluntary.